As a homeowner or property manager, it’s almost certain that at one point or another you will run into problems with your home or building. These issues can range from minor home repairs to critically important things like water leaks. No matter what the problem is, it’s difficult for homeowners to recognize the cause of the issue and to know what to do, to remedy the situation. Some problems can be easily fixed with knowledge and practice, but some are too labour-intensive to do independently and not everyone possesses the required skills. We can correctly diagnose the problem for you, which will ensure a proper solution is implemented and that it will be done in the most cost-effective way possible.
The diagnostic stage is the most important
It’s critical that the problem you are having with your home is correctly diagnosed. It’s common for homeowners to incorrectly diagnose the cause the problem they are having, which results in wasted money and the problem still not being fixed.
A basement leak may actually be caused by improper roof drainage or interior piping. However, many homeowners will call a waterproofing contractor, rather than a roofer/plumber.
A water-damaged ceiling growing visible mold, could be the result of excessively-high humidity levels. Most homeowners would likely call a roofer to correct the surmised “roof leak” rather than a heating technician (HVAC) and / or a plumber.
No matter what the age of the home is, homeowners often run into these common problems:
- Improper surface grading/drainage
- Improper electrical wiring
- Roof damage
- Heating system deficiencies
- Structurally-related problems
- Plumbing issues
- Problems with the exterior (windows, doors, cracked/leaky stucco)
- Poor ventilation & air quality
When a problem is discovered, best to find a solution or remedy quickly, before the situation deteriorates beyond repair.
Most of these problems would be difficult for a homeowner to take on themselves. Glenn Duxbury possesses excellent diagnostic skills and will come to your home for a problem-solving consultation to find out the root of the problem and how it can be fixed in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible.
Can I do anything to prevent these issues from arising?
Although they are difficult to entirely prevent, there are measures homeowners can take to maintain their homes and try to stop these common problems from happening:
- Protect against water – intrusion: This is one of the most common causes for major problems in the home. It’s important to make sure rain gutters, drains, window seals, showers, sinks and toilets are all functioning properly and also check exterior paint and stucco. It’s important to seal, clean, caulk and repair any area that needs repair as soon as you notice a problem.
- Inspect heating, ventilation and air-conditioning units: It’s important to get these checked at least once a year. The equipment will last much longer and it will save you money on repairs in the long run, when services regularly.
- Inspect and repair roof damage: This should be part of your regular home maintenance routine. The older the roof, the more frequently it needs to be checked. This will prevent water damage, leaking, attic damage and interior repairs..
- Power wash and repair wood decks: These should be power washed at least every one to two years. This will prevent stains, algae, mold and water damage. Repair work is also essential in preventing small problem areas from worsening.
- Clean carpets: You should clean your carpets every year, but it’s most important to clean heavy-traffic areas more often. It’s very expensive to replace carpet, so annual cleaning will prevent soil buildup and limit exposure to bacteria and dirt, but also save you money in the long run.
- Chimney maintenance: If you have one, you need to have it cleaned annually. This can prevent fires and other damages.
Duxbury & Associates has an excellent success rate in helping B.C. homeowners, strata & co-op administrations, lawyers, property managers and others find the best, cost-effective and practical solution to any functional home/building problem causing stress and worry. If you are dealing with a problem, contact Glenn Duxbury to book a problem-solving consultation today.