More Fall Maintenance Tips from your Vancouver Home Inspector
- Trim tree limbs & vegetation away from the roof and walls of your home (avoid allowing access for critters).
- Conduct a garage door safety-check.
• Put it into manual mode and lift: it should glide smoothly and stay open on its own three feet from the ground: if not, have a pro counterbalance it.
• Put a pet- or child-size object on the ground (a small cardboard box or lightweight plastic laundry hamper, for example) and close the door. It should go up as soon as it meets the obstacle. If not, call in a pro for safety. The down-force when closing should be no more than 2 pounds. Weather-strip your garage door. Make sure the seal between your garage door and the ground is tight to prevent drafts and keep out critters.
- Cover Air Conditioners. Vacuum internal parts of air conditioners. Remove units from windows or wrap the outside box with an approved air conditioner cover, to prevent rusting of vital parts and collection of debris. Clear vegetation from around your air conditioner to prolong the life of the unit.
- Clean Yard Equipment. Prepare yard equipment for storage. This includes draining fuel from all gas-operated equipment such as lawn mowers, leaf blowers and chain saws. Check to see that all snow equipment is up and running before the first flurry falls. Organize your snow-clearing gear. When winter arrives you’ll want to have shovels, roof rakes and snow blowers where you can get to them.
- Check the structural supports, stairs and railings on porches and decks. Make sure the handrails can support someone slipping on snow or ice and are “graspable”.
- Use a screwdriver to probe the wood trim around windows, doors, railings and decks. Make repairs now before the fall /winter rains do more damage to exposed wood.
- Inspect concrete slabs & asphalt for signs of cracks or movement. All exterior slabs should drain away from the home’s foundation. Seal cracks with a concrete crack-filler or approved exterior caulk. When weather permits, power-wash and then seal the concrete /asphalt.
- Remove firewood stored near the home. Firewood should be stored at least 12 inches off the ground at least 3 feet from the structure (critters LOVE to nest there).
Watch for more Tips coming from your area Home Inspector Burnaby/Home Inspector Tri-Cities/Home Inspector New Westminster on how to maintain your home and investment wisely